Thursday, April 21, 2016

Antique shopping in Paris!

I bought this beautiful Neoclassical Old Paris porcelain vase circa 1810-1820 at the Paris market of Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, also known as Clignancourt. The world's biggest flea market welcomes 200,000 visitors each weekend. Displayed in my Paris Apt with fresh Clementines. One side side of the vase is etched gold trophy of Music. 



One of the many reasons I visit Paris so much is the hunt of finding fabulous French Antiques in their natural habitat. During my month long stay from mid Dec 2014-mid Jan 2015 I was lucky to find amazing 18th & 19th century Old Paris porcelain and 1830's-1840's Period Louis Philippe cut glass, both favorites of mine. My favorite market in the world is Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. It is a weekend market with over 350 stalls to look at of fabulous antique furniture, trinkets, paintings, fabric, glassware, timepieces, jewelry, military objects, photography, music, and curios. In the heart of Paris. 

I also like to shop at Les Puces de Saint-Ouen also known as Clignancourt. The world's biggest flea market welcomes 200,000 visitors each weekend. You name it, this place has it. Antique and modern furniture, pictures, new and second-hand clothes — all at rock-bottom prices (especially if you're adept at haggling) and some antiques at not so great a deal. There's a jovial fairground atmosphere, with the aroma of food wafting in the air and people crowding round the stalls, hoping to pick up a 1970s leather jacket or rare Louis XV chest of drawers. Over the years I have come to make friends with some of the many small little antique shops that dot Paris. I love stopping by to see what new items dealers got in since my last visit. This is a photograph tour of my antique hunts during this time in France as well as some pricy window shopping, enjoy! 


Dinner I made in my Paris apt served in a 18th century Paris porcelain plate purchased at Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. The 1830's Louis Philippe wine glass purchased from a shop in Paris. 



The other side of the vase shows Cupid (Latin Cupido, meaning "desire") is the god of desire, erotic love, attraction and affection, sitting on his mother's lap love goddess Venus as they float on a cloud. He is enjoying a glass of Ambrosia, Nectar of the gods, his mother Venus just poured for him. 



 I saw these amazing large Old Paris porcelain vases at the Paris market of Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, also known as Clignancourt. Thank goodness the shop was closed, I'm sure they are asking $20,000 or more for the pair. They are just amazing with the horse handles. 


Note the fine gold gilt work, matt and bright gold and finely molded horse heads! 

The Neoclassical paintings on the vases were amazing! 

Some of my favorite Period Louis Philippe Champagne glasses circa 1830-1840's. 

These Period Louis Philippe Champagne glasses were located in a Paris Antiques shop. They were some of the first antiques I bought on this trip. 

Even Though the shop owner had lot's of sets they were all sold buy the piece. 


Napoleon lll period cut glass.  

Small Louis Philippe cordial glasses 11 euros each. I waited to long to make up my mind about these. On my next visit to the store they were gone. 



My first visit to the shop I decided on these two. The Champagne on the left is 1820's Baccarat. 

I later came back and bought 4 of these beautiful Small Louis Philippe cordial glasses! 

Vueve Clicquot never taste as good as from a a 1830's Louis Philippe cute glass flute. In the background is a 1820's Charles X period Neoclassical gold leafed framed engraving of La vierge aux raisins (The Virgin of the Grapes) after Pierre Mignard, 1640, purchased at Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. 


3 vermeil (gold plated silver) Charles X period 1820's cream spoons made by a Paris woman silversmith. I was sorry I did not buy these at the Paris market of Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, also known as Clignancourt.

Note the beautiful Neoclassical engraved shield design and monogram on the handle.  

Window shopping at Clignancourt. 


Window shopping at Clignancourt. 

This shop had everything to build and furnish a château.

I love this mantel Marble and gold gilt ormolu 

The French know how to design. 


Window shopping at Clignancourt. 

At the Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves I bought these fabulous 4 French Louis XVI 18th century Old Paris porcelain plates signed Boissettes. Displayed on the 18th century terracotta hexagon tile floor of my apt. 

Four French Louis XVI period antique 18th century Old Paris porcelain ribbed plates, dishes from the Boissettes porcelain factory located outside of Paris in operation from ca. 1778-ca. 1785. The plates are decorated with handpainted garden flowers and gilt dentil border.


These are wonderful examples of 18th century French porcelain.

The signed "B" in underglaze blue for the Boissettes porcelain factory.

One of my favorite items I bought on this trip was 6 Paris porcelain plates used by American dignitaries & Emperor Napoleon lll

Paris porcelain plates with shield of America/American eagle with Emperor Napoleon lll eagle on each plate. The American eagle with a red, white, and blue banner reading "E Pluribus Unum", the national motto. I purchased the plates in Paris market of Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, also known as Clignancourt.  I was told by the Clingnancourt dealer that the plates were used at a dinner in Paris in the late 1840's with American dignitaries & French Emperor Napoleon lll. 



Each plate has a different floral arrangement hand painted in the center of each plate. 

The American eagle with a red, white, and blue banner reading "E Pluribus Unum", the national motto.

Emperor Napoleon lll imperial eagle on each plate. 



I was shocked to find out the price of this large circa 1820's 1830's French restoration period vase in perfect condition. I could afford it. I did not ask for a discount on the price but the dealer offered it to me at a cheaper price then she quoted. I had to run off to the atm to get the money.  

The other side of this amazing Old Paris porcelain vase shows a mother in a garden holding her baby. Now proudly displayed at le château de Hopkins.

I bought this lovely 18th century Paris porcelain plate at the Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves.

I also but this cut and etched glass urn at the Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. 

I love the cut and etched grape and grape leaf design in the Classical vase. 

I have a smaller version of this vase with the same design and shape at home, purchased at a estate sale in New Orleans. 

At the Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves I found these rare late 18th century Old Paris porcelain gold and white can shaped cups, The one to the left is the smallest I have seen almost miniature and the one to the right the larges I have seen these. It is bigger than a modern day coffee cup. 

Side profiles! 


I bought this beautiful Louis Philippe period portico clock at my favorite Paris market, the Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. 

I bought this lovely large Old Paris porcelain cup at the Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. When I googled the name the only thing that came up was a 19th century Creole that owned property in the French Quarter. I was happy to bring it back home. 

The side of the cup is beautifully painted with flowers! 


I bought this nice early 19th century Italian scene decorated Old Paris porcelain dish at Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves

My favorite dessert in France, Tarte au Citron. 

New Years eve 2014. A little desert and Vueve Clicquot before going to the New Year's Eve video displayed on the Arc de Triomphe. 

When it was all said and done I shipped 6 boxes full of fabulous 18th & 19th century French Old Paris porcelain home as well as Louis Philippe glassware! What kind of antiques do you like to buy when you go traveling? 

All photo's below are from window shopping in Antiques shops across from the Louvre museum. You need to be a millionaire to buy most of this stuff.  

Paris window shopping 


Paris window shopping 



Paris window shopping 


















Antinous as Osiris, the original was found in the ruins of Hadrian's villa during the 18th century. 


Antinous as Osiris, the original was found in the ruins of Hadrian's villa during the 18th century. 


Antinous as Osiris, the original was found in the ruins of Hadrian's villa during the 18th century. 


Ancient Egyptian sculpture anyone?

You can check out my antiques and art for sale on my square account. 

https://squareup.com/store/andrew-hopkins  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your travels and lovely treasures. Your passion truly shines through. I have recently started collecting antiques and your blog will help me have a better eye for the rare, valuable pieces. Thanks, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Tammi, I have had a passion for fine antiques and travel since I was a young child. I'm glad my blog could be of help to you.

      Delete